Here are a few ideas for some primal/paleo snacks:
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Nut balls
- Nuts – cashews, macadamias, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts
- Cold meat
- Leftover lunch or dinner
- An apple cut into slices with a dollop of almond butter for dipping
- Carrot sticks and guacamole/avocado slices
- Almond flour baking (in small quantities)
- Dried fruit (just one or two pieces at a time)
- Dark chocolate (70% or higher)
We’ve also been trying to eat more local food, so last weekend while we were running around the Cowichan Valley organizing the 200km bike ride, we stopped at the Saturday morning market and talked to a couple of local beef farmers. They both sell meat at the market as well as directly from the farm, so we’re planning to drive up there with our chilly bin (cooler) and get some local grass-raised meat. Once we’ve visited the farms I’ll put up some links to their websites.
We’re also planning to try growing some vegetables using square-foot gardening. We’ve weeded our raised bed in the back garden in preparation for buying some dirt next weekend. I’m hoping Patrick comes up with a plan for an automatic watering system. Either that, or I’m going to have to enlist some help with watering reminders – (I pick plants for the flower beds based on how drought-resistant they are!)
Has anyone else tried square-foot gardening? What kind of vegetables do you think we should plant?
Photo via Flickr user havankevin